After, mastering the recipe myself and getting hooked on it I decided to share it with all of you. If you feel like trying something new or you simply miss having this Turkish delicacy, then just continue reading.
The pizza boat also called peinirli is a Turkish pide that is loved by many and frequently seen all over Greece. It can be eaten as a snack or even as a main dish, depending on what you put as toppings.
In this post, I will answer some FAQ about the pizza boats and the easy recipe I follow. Beware that it is extremely delicious!!!
You can check the video below or jump straight to the recipe!Jump to Recipe
What ingredients can I use for the pizza boats recipe?
Basically, anything that you like don’t be afraid to experiment . The basic ingredients for all is cheese ( this is where the name comes from as well: peinirli in Turkish means ‘with cheese’).
Any type you choose will be fine, just make sure the flavors compliment each other well and you like the combo. For example, I love the combo of feta, Gouda cheese, and sausage or bacon but not may people do. Just use what you like and the result will be finger licking good!
Here are some cheese suggestions:
- Gouda cheese
- Mozzarella cheese
- Elemental cheese
- Kasseri (Greek) cheese
- Kefalograviera (Greek) cheese
- and even Feta cheese
What can I use as a base for the peinirli recipe?
The most popular base is tomato sauce thus the pizza resemblance. By now you know, I like to try different stuff so my favorite is white base; cream cheese to be exact.
Here are some peinirli base choices:
- Tomato sauce (duh…)
- Cream cheese
- Cooking cream
- Heavy cream
Meat/ cold cuts choice:
Just like for your cheese choice, here you also go for what you like. Unfortunately, many times people end up following a recipe to the point and then they don’t seem to like the end result.
My way of cooking is to get the main idea from the recipe but if you don’t like something, just replace it with what you like (where applicable).My way of cooking is get the main idea from the recipe but if you don't like something just replace it with what you like (where applicable). Click To Tweet
Here are some options to consider:
- Chicken ( pre-cooked)
- All kinds of Cold cuts
What extra toppings can I use for the peinirli?
Some people like to add an egg on top of the rest and cook it for a bit. This is a nice addition but it can be a bit heavy if you have already added a tons of other stuff. I say try it and see how it goes. The egg goes well with salami, pastrami, and bacon.
This should be the last step before taking the pizza boats out of the over. The egg usually needs 2-3 min to be baked.
I love to add mushrooms on top of my pizza boats. That might be because I love mushrooms but again you should add whatever you like.
You can also put some onion or colored bell peppers. I think that this makes the peinirli a bit too heavy but that is just me being weird. Don’t mind me😊.
Can I use different type of flour for the pizza boats recipe?
Sure, I actually encourage it. I use a mix of white all purpose and whole wheat flour. The end result is perfect.
Do I need a dough mixer?
No, but it sure does your job way easier. You can mix the dough with your hands just be prepared to use some muscle💪🏻. All you need is 5 – 7 min, it can get tiring but it is worth it. If you want to avoid this a bit tedious step then use a dough mixer!
Here are some of the BEST dough mixers on the market!
Do I need a rolling pin to make the pizza boats recipe?
Yes. This will be your best friend in the process of spreading the dough. Here is my favorite nonstick metal rolling pin.
Things you will need for the recipe:
Share my recipe with your friends on social media and tag @daramiblog!
Feel free to browse and round, you might find something else you like!
Before you go, Subscribe to get the latest posts straight to your email!
Easy pizza boat recipe (peinirli)
For the dough
- 1 Tbsp yeast powder
- 200 ml water cool
- 1/2 tbs sugar
- 1 cup all purpose flour white
- 1 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 tbsp salt
- 1 Tbsp olive oil extra virgin
For the toppings
- 2 tbsp butter
- 3 Tbsp cream cheese
- 3 small chicken sausages
- 5 medium mushrooms
- 1 mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup Grated cheese
- 1/2 tbsp black pepper
- 1 sheet non stick paper
How to make the dough!
- Mix the yeast + 50 ml water +sugar and let it rest for about 2 min.
- Add all the flour + salt +150 ml water.
- Use the dough mixer 1-3 min or use your hands for about 5-7 min to mix everything well together.
- Brush a big bowl with olive oil
- Put the dough in the bowl and brush it with some olive oil as well
- Cover the dough with a clean cloth and let it rest for 1 h +30 min
How to roll the dough!
- Sprinkle some flour on a non stick cooking paper or use a non slip silicon mat ( no flour needed)
- Put the dough and sprinkle some flour on top
- With a nonstick rolling pin to roll the dough
- Roll in different directions to spread it evenly
- Roll until the dough is about 1 cm (0.4 inch) fat
Preparing the ingredients
- Slice the mushrooms and put aside
- Cut the sausage into small cubes (or any other cold cut you chose)
Adding the filling!
- Cut the dough into small squares
- Put some butter on all squares
- Put some cream cheese as well
- Add some sausage on each square
- Add some mushrooms on each square
- Add some grated cheese on top of each
- Sprinkle some black pepper
- Make sure to not over fill the squares
Making the pizza boat shape
- Fold the two closest ends together
- Do the same on the other side
- Try to close the middle gap but not fully
- Preheat the over at 170 ° C or 340° F Grill
- Use a baking sheet and add a nonstick paper ( unless the sheet in non stick one)
- Put the pizza boats on the sheet
- Brush the pizza boats with some olive oil
- Put the baking sheet on the bottom rack for about 6-8 min
- Transfer the pizza boats to the middle rack in your oven for about 6 min
- When the pizza boats get some color on top remove from the oven and let them cool down
- Get Ready for Summer with a Memorial Day Sale of 20% off from Lookfantastic.com
- 3 Powerful Instagram Caption Tips You Need to Know
- The Ultimate Tips to Make You a Better Pinterest User
- How to Get from Athens to Evia island: a Local’s Guide
- August: the Sunday of Summer; monthly rewind
- Mavic Mini: Drone on a Budget, Basic vs Fly More Combo