The other day I was having a discussion with a friend about her customer service experiences. She was so negative towards not only the experiences themselves but also the agents she was interacting with.
The conversation started because she had an issue with a device and she was dreading contacting the customer service. It was only natural to give her some advice from a personal perspective both as a customer and an ex-customer service agent.
This post was inspired by this particular conversation and the advice I gave her.
- 1 11 simple steps everyone can follow in order to have the best customer service experience.
- 2 1. Calm down.
- 3 2. Do not spend too much time trying to fix the problem yourself.
- 4 3. Contact the customer service desk.
- 5 4. State your issue from the beginning.
- 6 5. Be helpful, it is the key for the best customer service experience.
- 7 6. Stay calm.
- 8 7. Be professional with customer service.
- 9 8. Say thank you as many times as possible.
- 10 9. Listen carefully to the instructions, do not just assume.
- 11 10. Do not be ironic, condescending or provocative.
- 12 11. If the issue gets resolved, go the extra mile and show your appreciation.
- 13 The bottom line for the best customer service experience.
11 simple steps everyone can follow in order to have the best customer service experience.
1. Calm down.
Having an issue that is not in our scope of understanding can be frustrating. Take a deep breath and calm yourself down before seeking help.
2. Do not spend too much time trying to fix the problem yourself.
You will be surprised how quickly it will be solved by a professional, just request their help sooner rather than later before doing something you are not sure of.
3. Contact the customer service desk.
Send an email/ log a ticket or call the phone number for the customer service.
4. State your issue from the beginning.
Give any relevant information, be concise and clear.
5. Be helpful, it is the key for the best customer service experience.
Provide the agent with anything they request, such as screen sharing, screenshots, invoices and etc. Remember they are there to help.
6. Stay calm.
Even if things don’t go your way or you don’t like the company’s policy just stay calm and allow the agent to do their job fixing your problem.
7. Be professional with customer service.
Nobody likes unprofessional behavior. Plus there are more chances for people to take you seriously by being professional.
8. Say thank you as many times as possible.
Always keep in mind that the agents interact with plenty of people daily trying to resolve issues and a kind word as a “thank you” goes a long way.
9. Listen carefully to the instructions, do not just assume.
This might be hard to do, I know it was for me in the beginning😀. When I had to contact customer service for the first time I didn’t pay attention to what I was being told. However, once I started listening, my issue was resolved. I advise you, to do the same.
10. Do not be ironic, condescending or provocative.
Always choose the high way, things might get heated be the mature one and do not fall for their immaturity.
11. If the issue gets resolved, go the extra mile and show your appreciation.
Send a positive survey, or a nice thank you note through the chat if possible.
What I always write is.
“Thank you so much for your help and effort. But for your help, I wouldn’t be able to fix it. You have been extraordinary. Have a wonderful day.”
If we always put ourselves in other people’s shoes, we can never go wrong. Be empathetic, nice and respectful at all times.
Share this post on social media if you liked it! Don’t be shy to follow me too while you are there, I would love to connect.
How do you interact with customer service agents? Do you have any other tips to add?